Sunday, December 5, 2010

Deck the Halls and Donate the Rest

Day 5
Preparing to move in the next year has made this a bit easier for me, but lately we've been happy to get rid of excess stuff. Getting out the Christmas decorations and putting them up has been a time to evaluate what stuff really ought to go. Stuff that hasn't gone up in the past couple of years, things that I just don't like that much anymore, and stuff that I don't know what to do with are all going to be going to charity. Stuff that was broken (along with excess boxes and packaging) went in the trash (or recycling). I get calls from a few different organizations that pick up donations and I try to always say yes to a pick up. It's a good motivator to declutter. My excess Christmas decor is going to one of these charities next week. Now is a good time to donate, so someone else can enjoy it this Christmas season.
Another great thing to donate right now is gently used toys, books, and well really anything that might make a great present for someone else. Do it now, help someone else out, clear some space before the influx of Christmas gifts, and get some last minute charitable contributioning for those 2010 taxes.*
*yeah, I'm no expert, you'll have to check with someone who really knows about taxes to see what sorts of things you can deduct and all the details of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment